Procter and Gamble (P&G) Philippines, in collaboration with P&G Health, is at the forefront of redefining the landscape of Peripheral Neuropathy (PN) with innovative solutions aimed at improving the lives of millions affected by this condition, spearheading a transformative narrative on Peripheral Neuropathy (PN), with groundbreaking insights unveiled during the #KNOWTHESIGNS Scientific Forum last November 14, 2023, during World Diabetes Day. While the forum took place earlier, the timeless impact of the revelations continues to reshape our understanding of PN, a condition affecting over 50 million people globally.
The key highlight from the forum was the unveiling of the NENOIN Study results, shedding light on the efficacy of a fixed dose combination of B vitamins (B1, B6, and B12) in significantly improving nerve function. The study’s findings provide a crucial roadmap for managing Peripheral Neuropathy, offering tangible hope for millions globally.
Understanding the Scope of Peripheral Neuropathy:
Peripheral Neuropathy, affecting over 50 million people globally, poses significant challenges to those with diabetes and pre-diabetes. Numbness, tingling, and burning sensations in the hands and feet are common symptoms, impacting the quality of life for individuals with this condition.
With Diabetes Mellitus Type 2 being the leading cause of PN, the increasing prevalence of PN is closely linked to the rise in the number of diabetic patients. Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy (DPN) is the result of damage to the nerves impacting the quality of life of people as they are not able to go about their daily lives as comfortably. Symptoms of PN include numbness, tingling, prickling, and burning sensations in the hands and feet. B vitamin deficiency and polymedication are other high-risk factors along with diabetes, leading to peripheral nerve damage. Published studies across different countries confirm that up to 80% of patients with PN remain undiagnosed and untreated.
P&G’s Comprehensive Approach:
P&G Health is committed to addressing the multifaceted nature of Peripheral Neuropathy by introducing holistic solutions that focus is on providing relief and improved quality of life to individuals dealing with the daily struggles of PN.
Key Components of P&G’s Peripheral Neuropathy Management Strategy:
1. Innovative Research: A leader in Nerve Health, P&G Health invests in continuous research, exemplified by studies like the NENOIN Study, to uncover effective solutions for Peripheral Neuropathy. This commitment to innovation underlines P&G’s dedication to improving outcomes for those living with PN. PN is associated with poor functional mobility and compromised motor symptoms, in addition to sensory symptoms. These symptoms significantly worsen the quality of life of patients. Results from the NENOIN study concluded that the synergistic combination of vitamins B1, B6, and B12 can not only relief symptoms but also significantly improve nerve function in patients with PN which is a critical learning. This further underlines how early screening for PN and timely treatment can help improve quality of life and treatment outcomes
2. Vitamin B Supplementation: Besides diabetes mellitus, aging, alcoholism, and B vitamins deficiencies are other high-risk factors leading to peripheral nerve damage. Vitamin B1, B6, and B12 play essential roles in the maintenance of a healthy nervous system. Vitamin B1 provides energy to the nerves, vitamin B6 helps with signal transmission in nerves, while vitamin B12 helps with neuronal regeneration. combination of vitamin B1, B6 and B12 that is scientifically proven to repair nerve damage, restore nerve function and regenerate nerves to relieve neuropathy symptoms.
3. Pharmacist Engagement: Acknowledging the integral role of pharmacists in patient care, P&G advocates for their active involvement. By providing guidance on lifestyle modifications and recommending over-the-counter treatments, pharmacists play a vital role in supporting individuals with PN. A Speaker at the Forum, Dr. Kenny P Merin (Pharmacist, and Assistant Vice President, Academics & Research of Lyceum of the Philippines University Davao – Philippines) shared, “Pharmacists are an integral part of the healthcare team and can provide valuable support to patients with PN, yet often we are underutilized. Pharmacists are often the first point of contact and can drive early awareness of patient’s condition, offer guidance on lifestyle modifications, and help optimize medication regimens. Pharmacists can also recommend over-the-counter treatments (e.g., therapeutic dose of Neurotropic B vitamins) for PN symptom relief. By actively engaging with patients and healthcare professionals, let’s join hands to improve PN patients’ long-term health and well-being.”
4. AI-Powered Awareness: P&G’s ongoing #KnowtheSigns campaign leverages Artificial Intelligence to make the often-invisible conditions of PN and Vitamin B deficiency more visible and relatable to consumers. Early diagnosis is emphasized as a critical factor in enabling better treatment outcomes.
5. Collective Stakeholder Efforts: Insights from healthcare professionals around the globe underscore the importance of collaborative efforts, education, and early intervention. As a partner to International Diabetes Federation (IDF), P&G Health is committed to continued efforts to raise awareness on Diabetes and its associated complications including Peripheral Neuropathy and Vitamin B Deficiency. The goal is to create a comprehensive support system that addresses the challenges posed by Peripheral Neuropathy on a global scale.
“Our #KnowtheSigns campaign is a step change in the approach towards health awareness, as for the first time, we have leveraged Artificial Intelligence (AI) to make the invisible condition of PN & Vitamin B deficiency visible and more relatable to consumers. We hope to help people understand the condition by shedding light on daily struggles and symptoms. Not many people are aware that early diagnosis can help enable better treatment outcomes and better quality of life, and damaged nerves can be regenerated if nerve damage has not progressed too far,” says Aalok Agrawal, Senior Vice-President, P&G Health, Asia, India, Middle East & Africa.
As P&G Health continues to drive innovation in the realm of Peripheral Neuropathy, the focus remains on providing solutions that enhance the overall quality of life for individuals affected by this condition. The ongoing commitment to research, awareness, and comprehensive care solidifies P&G Health’s position as a leader in the pursuit of better outcomes for those with Peripheral Neuropathy.
Mrs.Enero – Angel Enero is a former IT System Administrator and now a full-time SAHM to her #littleEneros. She’s a domesticated / hands-on mom who loves baking and gardening.
MRSENERODIARIES blog is an online diary of Angel Enero. Formerly a travel blogger and now a lifestyle mommy blogger. Blogging about EAT. PRAY. LOVE. TRAVEL.